SECOND YEAR MARCH 2017 ENGLISH MAXIMUM : 80 Scores
(Questions Nos. 1-3) Read the passage and answer the questions that follow:
“I knew then this could be my country, and that whatever I did here could make more of a difference than in a manicured reality of my university life in the states.”
1. Who is the narrator?
A) Shaheen Mistri is the narrator (Score : 1)
2. What does the author mean by the word “manicured”?
A) Polished (Score : 1)
3. Fill in the blanks with suitable prepositions:
The teacher was obliged to begin the story of a bison and a tiger, and then he passed on to “Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves” and “Alladdin’s Lamp”. The boy listened, rapt and ordered. “I want to hear the story of the bison again. It is good….” . The teacher was short of breath. (Score : 4)
4. Edit the following letter of recommendation correcting the mistakes, if any.
The purpose of this letter is to provide a character reference to Mr.Ram whom I have known as a colleague for a period of five years. I believe I am in a position to provide you with a pretty accurate assessment of his character.
As an employee, he has been very hard working and highly committed to his job. He has also very outgoing and always willing to help others. I would conclude saying that Mr.Ram is a fine, well-balanced person with an abundance of positive qualities.
(Score : 4)
(Questions 5-6) : Read the passage and answer the questions:
“It is time to create a world where all women can meet their potential without impediment or prejudice and the world will reap the benefits. The three Ls will help us get there.”
5. What are the three Ls referred to? (Score : 1)
6. What does “impediment” mean? (Score : 1)
7. The Amigo brothers left the ring arm in arm, without waiting for the verdict. Prepare the script for an announcement to be made soon after their exit. (Score : 3)
8. “Some tortures are physical and some are mental
But the one that is both is dental”.
Why does the poet find it hard to keep calm while sitting before a dentist? (Score : 4)
9. “We are called to assist the Earth to heal her wounds and in the process heal our own indeed, to embrace the world of creation in all its diversity, beauty and wonder.”Prepare a blog entry based on your understanding of Wangari Maathai’s speech. (Score : 4)
10. Fill in the blanks choosing the correct expressions from those given in brackets:
After Marshall left Baldwin took out his diary and wrote as follows:
God ! What a turn of events ! I never thought that my own wife and children would persuade me to do a dishonourable thing. I was almost pushed (pushing/pushed) into accepting the bribe. Thank God, Marshall came (coming/came) at the right time. His offering (offering/offered) the position came as a pleasant surprise, though, I feel (feels/feel) pity for poor Gresham (Score : 4)
11. While reading about Irfan Alam’s SammaaN rickshaws, you are reminded of “She Taxi”introduced in Kerala. Write an e-mail to Irfan Alam informing him about this project for the social and economic empowerment of women.
(‘She taxi’ –techonology ---enabled safety cab services—operated by women---to carry women commuters----first of its kind in India-----24 X 7 ----with emergency response systems and control room ---ensures the safety of women travelers------empowers the women----makes them financially independent) (Score : 5)
12. The teacher in “Crime and Punishment” is a pathetic figure at the mercy of his student who blackmails him. Don’t you think that he should change his approach to the child for making him disciplined? Write four sentences giving your suggestions to the teacher. (Score : 4)
13. The incident that occurs in the play “Post Early for Christmas” shows the lack of security measures in the post office as well as the ignorance of the postal and the police personnel about handling an issue. Prepare a news report of the incident highlighting the corrective measures to be taken. (Score : 5)
14. After reading “Mending Wall” and in the wake of newspaper reports about millions of refugees who are denied entry into the developed nations you feel that there should be one world for all without any walls or boundaries. Prepare a script for presentation as the first speaker in the panel discussion on “One World Without Walls”. (Score : 5)
15. What are the personality changes manifested due to the sensory deprivation induced by drug addiction, according to Dr. Hardin B Jones? (Score : 4)
16. Read the following advertisement and prepare a letter of application and a resume in response to it.
Vidyajyothi High School
We are a dynamic and progressive educational institution with a strong and firm focus on quality and innovative practices in education.
We are on the lookout for
High School Teachers
Subject : Maths
Candidates must have
· Bachelor’s / Master’s Degree in Maths with first class
· A minimum of two years of teaching experience
· Excellent communication skills
Interested candidates must send their resume with recent photograph to
Last Date of Submission : 31-01-2016
(Scores : 6)
17. Wangari Maathai’s Nobel Price Acceptance speech reveals how environmental degradation is carried out on a large scale basis. Prepare an essay on the factors that lead to a destruction of our environment.
The challenge is to restore the home of the tadpoles and give back to our children a world of beauty and wonder.” Wangari Maathai calls upon the youth to save the earth from destruction. Write an essay exploring the positive steps that we can take to save the planet from environmental degradation. (Score : 8)
18. The literary club of your School is celebrating the International Women’s Day. Prepare the script for a speech on “Educating the girl child” to be delivered on the occasion.
“ ………..They need to change the mindset and reset the narrative in their favour. So it is essential that women be ready to ‘dare the difference’ –to take risks and step outside their comfort zones.” Based on your reading of Chrisine Lagarde’s speech, prepare an essay on how women can realize their true potential. (Score : 8)
19. Read the following poem and compare it with “Any Woman” by Katherine Tynan.
The Sad Mother
Sleep, sleep, my beloved,
Without worry, without fear,
Although my soul does not sleep,
Although I do not rest.
Sleep, sleep and in the night
may your whispers be softer
than a leaf of grass,
or the silken fleece of lambs.
May my flesh slumber in you,
My worry, my trembling,
In you, may my eyes close
And my heart sleep.
Gabriela Mistral (Score : 8)